Created Thursday 08 February 2018
Anand, V. -- Caruana, F.
5th Sinquefield Cup 2017 2017.08.06 1-0
# 26. Qd4!!
- This is what Anand had foreseen and Caruana had missed when aiming for this position. Black is up a piece, and can take a free queen, but his king is helpless against Anand's assault.
- ( 26. ... Rxd4 27. f8=Q+ Kg6 28. Qf6# )
- # Attacking another rook and proving that Black's loose
construction is collapsing. The black queen is overloaded defending both rooks.
Grischuk, A. -- Vachier Lagrave, M.
chess.com Speed 3m+2spm 2017 2017.10.23 1-0
# 21. Rxf8!!
- White was already down a piece, and now he sacrifices another exchange.
- Grischuk has a perpetual, but he was clearly aiming for more.
- Black is up a rook, but mate is now unavoidable after Qg5.
Kasparov, G. -- Nepomniachtchi, I.
Saint Louis Rapid 2017 2017.08.15 0-1
# 35. ... Re3
- This was not foreseen by White! Ian managed to outcalculate Kasparov, which is an impressive feat, even though Garry was not in his top shape in this tournament.
- ( 38. Rg1 Qe1# )
Caruana, F. -- Carlsen, M.
chess.com IoM Masters 2017.09.30 0-1
# 35. ... Bf4!
- No matter what, there will be a decisive knight fork. White resigned in view of
- ( 36. Qxf4 Nxh3+ #